Update from the Immigration Office - State of Emergency (26th May, 2021)

Due to the favourable epidemiological situation, the Client Services of the National Directorate-General of Aliens Policing (Immigration Office) will be partially opened from 25th May 2021 and fully opened from 14th June 2021.

Pursuant to Government Decree 50/2020, residence permits expiring between 4th November 2020 and 15th July 2021 can be considered valid regardless of their expiration, for 30 days after the end of state of emergency that is until 31st July.

The opening hours of Client Service II., Budapest:

Monday to Thursday

8 am to 2 pm


8 am to 11:30 pm

In view of the continuing emergency, we recommend that students staying in Hungary should submit their application for a residence permit on EnterHungary interface. You can find more information about application procedure on the website.

During partial opening in May, applicants for a residence permit will be accepted in the standard queue ticket system without an appointment in case:

  • the applicant submitted their request on EnterHungary.
  • they are students who have arrived in Hungary with a new visa and would like to collect their residence permit.


IF YOU ARE SUBJECT TO VISA to travel to Hungary, your embassy automatically applies also for your residence permit. This year the Immigration Office prefers our students not to visit them in person but come to the International Relations Coordinator of their campus to hand in the documents listed below. So, you may receive your residence permit at the Immigration Office but preferably in the university IR Office.

Documents to be submitted to the coordinator before receiving your residence permit:

  • Student Status Certificate (issued by your registrar's officer/Erasmus coordinator at MATE)
  • Copy of passport (all pages related to your travel to Hungary: your visa, stamps)
  • Accommodation sheet (issued by the dormitory coordinator or by the owner of the flat you rent); if you rent a flat or room, your lease contract is needed as well)
  • Reservation confirmation from your dormitory
  • 1 passport-size photo
  • the document you received at the airport from the police showing the beginning of your quarantine period OR your release certificate which shows when your quarantine period terminates
  • Authorization
  • A copy of your Letter of Award form TPF
  • A copy of your Letter of Acceptance from MATE


IF YOU ARE NOT SUBJECT TO VISA to travel to Hungary, you have to go to the Immigration Office to apply for residence permit within 30 days of your arrival, however, it is recommended to start the procedure as soon as possible. You will receive your residence permit by post. The process takes several months. You can accelerate this process by applying for your residence permit at the Hungarian Embassy of your home country before arrival. The detailed process of application for residence permit for study purposes can be found on the EnterHungary surface at

Documents to be submitted:
- Application form also downloadable from the website of the Immigration Office
- 1 passport-size photo
- Accommodation sheet – from the owner of your flat or the international coordinator of the dormitory (//Karpati.Beata [kukac]
">Ms. Beáta Kárpáti if you live in the dormitory on Gödöllő Campus, fedor.ildiko [kukac] (Ms. Ildikó Fedor) – if you live in Somogyi Imre Dormitory, 1118 Budapest, Szüret u. 2–18.)
- a copy of your passport
- Letter of Acceptance/Admission (sent by MATE via e-mail or post)
- Student status certificate (in Hungarian) – from MATE (Registrar’s Office)

If you are a scholarship holder:
- Letter of Award if you are a scholarhip holder (e.g. SH: from TEMPUS, FAO: from Ministry of Agriculture )

If you are a self-financing student:
- bank statement proving that you have enough money to live in Hungary
- health insurance



Client Service II. (Budapest) IMMIGRATION OFFICE (Országos Idegenrendészeti Főigazgatóság - OIF)


Regional Directorate of Budapest and Pest County


1135 Budapest, District XIII, 35-37 Szegedi út (Twin Office Building,Ground floor)

Phone number: 

+36 1 323 3189


bpkir2 [kukac]

Office hours for residence permit for the purpose of studies:


07.30 - 13.00


12.00 - 18.00


08.00 - 13.30 (they are open only for students)


07.30 - 13.00


08.00 - 11.00

How to get there: Buses start from Keleti Railway Station. Take any of the buses of No.20, No.30, No.30A and No.32. Get off at "Szegedi út" bus stop.

EXTENSION of your residence permit

Min.1 month before the expiry date of your residence permit, you have to apply for the extension
1) by submitting the following documents to the Immigration Office OR
2) by applying via EnterHungary surface at

- Student Status Certificate (issued by your Registrar's Officer/Erasmus coordinator at MATE)
- Credit transcript
- Copy of passport
- Accommodation sheet (issued by the dormitory coordinator or by the owner of the flat you rent)
If you live in a MATE dormitory, a reservation confirmation is necessary. If you rent a flat or room, your lease contract is needed as well. You only need a new accommodation card if your address has changed. Otherwise the copy of your old accommodation card is to be submitted.
- Application form (only "Application for Residence Permit" is needed)

- Appendix 14

If you are a self-sponsored student, you will also need a bank account statement (proving that you have enough money to live on) and health insurance.

If you extended your scholarship, you will also need the Letter of Extension issued by Tempus Public Fund.

If you graduated from MATE but pursue your studies as PhD, you will also need your Letter of Acceptance from SZIU/MATE and your Letter of Award from Tempus.

The procedure of extension might take 2 months, so if you need a valid residence permit (e.g. for travelling) for a given date, please calculate with this time.